Serbian name
Bačka Palanka
Former name
Hungarian name
Slovak name
German name
English description
The first Jews settled in Bačka Palanka in 1771. At that time, the Jews of Bačka Palanka did not have their own religious organizations, but were under the jurisdiction of the Jewish community of Neoplanta-Novi Sad. Religious services were carried out in a private home. The Jewish cemetery founded around 1800, is located near Gajdobranski Road. The construction of the synagogue was completed in 1807, at today's address 62 Žarka Zrenjanina Street. On the same street, next to the synagogue, in 1835 were built a ritual bath - mikveh, kosher butchery, and the Jewish elementary school. Before the Second World War, 229 Jews of Neolog faction and about 50 Orthodox Jews lived in the town. The Jews lived in Bačka Palanka until 1948, when the 37 Holocaust survivors, together with their cantor Eugene Gross, moved to Israel. The synagogue was demolished in 1956. A memorial commemorating the perished community was unveiled in 2007, on the site where the synagogue once stood. The cemetery with about 500 gravestones underwent thorough clean-up work in 2015.
Stefan Gužvica, “Jevreji u Bačkoj Palanci,” Jevreji u Bačkoj Palanci, Jevreji u Bačkoj Palanci

Back to locations