Serbian name
Vrbas
Former name
Hungarian name
Verbász
Slovak name
German name
Werbass
English description
The Jews settled in this town in 1772. In the 18th century there was a small community (about 50 members) which had a prayer home and school. The cemetery was founded in 1901. The synagogue was built in 1914 and demolished in 1948. In 1986, the cemetery was relocated, and gravestones were transferred to a new location, 4 Oktobarska Street. The remains were exhumed and buried in a common grave in the City Cemetery.
Bibliography
Pavle ҆osberger, Sinagoge u Vojvodini (Novi Sad: Prometej, 1998), 75-76.

Back to locations