Serbian name
Bačko Petrovo Selo
Former name
Hungarian name
Slovak name
German name
English description
Data on individual Jews settling in Bačko Petrovo Selo dates back to 1526. Larger number of Jews, settled there in the second half of the 18th century. The cemetery was founded around 1800. The community was orthodox. There were also a Jewish school and a yeshiva. The first synagogue was built in 1854 and the second in 1905. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the community had about 400 members. The cemetery has some 50-75 grave stones. Both synagogues were destroyed after the war, in 1950 and 1951 respectively. There are no memorial-plaques.
Pavle Šosberger, Sinagoge u Vojvodini (Novi Sad: Prometej, 1998), 25-27.

Back to locations