City Name Address Year unveiled Year renovated Image Description
Novi Sad Memorial to the Victims of Fascism in the Jewish Cemetery 67 Dezső György Street 1952 The Memorial in the Jewish Cemetery, designed by sculptor Dejan Bešlin (1897-1967), was unveiled on September 1, 1952. Its erection was initiated and mostly financed by the Federation of Jewish Communities of Yugoslavia. The construction of this monument was part of a larger action by the Federation to erect central monuments to the Yugoslav Jewish victims in Sarajevo, Belgrade, Zagreb, Novi Sad, and Đakovo. The inscription (in Serbo-Croatian and Hebrew) commemorates '4,000 Jews of Novi Sad who perished as victims of fascism 1941-1945'. The inscription in two languages is identical apart from the closing sentence in Hebrew - omitted in Serbo-Croatian: נזכרת יי עם כל צדיקי 'לעולם - Remember the Lord with all the righteous of all times, followed by the traditional five-letter acronym תנצבה of the Jewish farewell blessing תהא נפשו/ה צרורה בצרור החיים - May his/her soul be bound in the bond of eternal life (Samuel I 25:29). The memorial is made of white marble. A path filled with pebbles is leading to the central section covered by a flat roof and supported by four pillars. The central section carries the inscription and is decorated with the traditional Jewish motifs - the Magen David and Menorah. The Jewish Community of Novi Sad holds annual commemoration ceremonies at this site on the International Holocaust Remembrance Day - January 27.
Novi Sad Memorial to the Raid Victims 'The Family' on the Quay of the Raid Victims Quay to the Raid Victims bb 1971 1992 The memorial called 'The Family' by sculptor Jovan Soldatović (1920-2005) was unveiled in 1971 on the bank of the Danube River. It commemorates the victims of a pogrom called Razzia, also known as the Novi Sad Raid of January 1942. The Novi Sad Raid took place between January 21 and 23, 1942. It was part of a wider campaign carried out by fascist Hungary, when the local Jewish, Serb, and Roma population was brutally murdered. During those three days in Novi Sad, over 1,300 citizens were murdered, among them 874 Jews. A four-meter-high bronze monument is composed of four figures - father, mother, and two children, compounded into one mass with their hands together. The figures are devoid of any attributes, characterized by expressive, imperfect and elongated shapes, typical of Soldatović's oeuvre. The fragility of the tall, thin figures serves as a metaphor for the decay of human flesh and transience, suggesting on the one hand their despair and helplessness, and on the other the coldness of the crime committed against them. Unlike post-war figurative social realist monuments depicting soldiers with fierce gestures and rifles in their hands, Soldatović’s monument leaves an impression of sublimity, without dramatic effects. Below the monument, is a memorial plaque with the inscription in four official languages of Novi Sad (in Serbian, Croatian, Hungarian and Slovak): "To the victims of fascism”. The monument was supplemented in 1992 with 78 bronze plates, created by the same author. Four plates carry inscriptions with basic information about the tragic event, 3 plates in Serbian and 1 in Hebrew. The inscription in Serbian is the following: 'In southern Bačka in January 1942, the Hungarian occupier, carrying out a policy of genocide, with the participation of a number of domestic Hungarians poisoned by chauvinism, carried out a raid and carried out a massacre of about four thousand innocent victims - Serbs, Jews, Gypsies and others. They were thrown under the ice of the Tisza and the Danube Rivers. Many families were exterminated down to their last members.... In Novi Sad on January 21, 22 and 23, 1942, Hungarian soldiers with their accomplices killed and threw more than one thousand and three hundred innocent women, children, men, and the elderly under ice. Eternal glory to the victims of the raid.' The Hebrew text is somewhat different: 'בראציה...יותר מאלף ושלוש מאות יהודים וסרבים גברים, נשים וטף חפים מפשע נרצחו בידי הפשיסטים ההונגרים ונזרקו תחת הקרח של דנובה הקפואה.' – In the raid ... over a thousand and three hundred Jews and Serbs, innocent men, women, and children, were murdered by Hungarian fascists and thrown under the ice of the frozen Danube.' Additional 66 plaques bear names of the murdered citizens. They are divided by rhythmically arranged decorative plates employing symbols: Magen David (4 panels), cross (2), and dharmachakra or cartwheel (1). With this addition, the memorial has become dedicated truly to all the victims of the Novi Sad raid, commemorating both the event and each individual victim by listing his/her name. The monument is maintained by the Municipality of Novi Sad. Commemoration ceremonies honoring the victims of the Novi Sad Raid are held in front of this memorial annually between January 21 and 23. Commemoration ceremonies have been organized by the city officials, Jewish community, Orthodox Church, Roma organizations, along with the Federation of Jewish communities of Serbia and the Embassy of Israel, attended by hundreds of the city’s residents.
Novi Sad Indivual grave in the Jewish cemetery: Ungar Family 67 Dezső György Street 2011 The Ungar family, father Marcel, mother Margit, and children Olga and Tibor, lived before World War II in the town of Novi Kneževac, in northern Banat. Shortly after the beginning of the war - on August 14-15, 1941, the family was arrested and deported to the internment camp in Novi Bečej, together with other Jews of northern Banat. Around September 20, 1941, they were all taken to the town’s port and from there transported to Belgrade. Margit, Olga, and Tibor, as other women and children from Banat, were held in the city’s Jewish community housing with relative freedom of movement, while Marcel with other men was sent to the Topovske Šupe concentration camp located in a former military compound in Belgrade. Marcel Ungar was murdered October 16, 1941 in near-by village of Jabuka. With the help of an acquaintance, Margit managed to escape from Belgrade with her children before the deportation in December 1941. They found shelter with farmers in the village of Svilajnac, in central Serbia, where they lived under false names. Margit became Marija, and children - Olga and Tihomir Urošević. They remained in hiding until the liberation. It was only upon their return home, that the Ungar family realized that Marcel was murdered. In gratitude to his false identity that saved his life, Tibor retained the name Tihomir after the war. Margit (Ungar) Trajković nee Blau (1905-1971), Tihomir Ungar (1930-2011), are buried in the Jewish Cemetery. In 2011, the family inscribed on the grave the name of Marcel Ungar (1897-1941), who perished in the Holocaust (grave place - row 7).
Novi Sad Memorial Plaque to the Deported Jews on the synagogue 11 Jevrejska Street 1985 2018 The memorial plaques on the synagogue are commemorating the deportation of Jews of Novi Sad. The first plaque was unveiled on 26 April 1985, a work of sculptor Velo Hadžiavdić. The plaque is made of greyish granite. The inscription in Serbo-Croatian, engraved with golden letters, reads: 'Iz ove zgrade su 26. aprila 1944. godine deportovani novosadski Jevreji u nacističke koncentracione logore uništenja.' - From this building, on April 26, 1944, the Jews of Novi Sad were deported to Nazi extermination concentration camps. In 2018, were installed two additional memorial plaques in English and Hebrew (and both sides of the original 1985 plaque), of the same size, also made of grey stone and with engraved golden letters of the inscription. The meaning of the content of the inscription is identical to the Serb-Croatian: English: From this building on April 26th, 1944 Novi Sad Jews were deported to Nazi extermination camps. Hebrew: מהבניין הזה בתאריך 26.04.1944 נשלחו יהודי נובי סאד למחנות השמדה נאציים Commemoration ceremonies organized by the Jewish community Novi Sad are held annually on the anniversary of the deportation of Novi Sad Jews, April 26. The plaques are maintained by the Jewish community Novi Sad. The synagogue bears the scars of the war. Jews of Novi Sad were imprisoned in there before their deportation to Nazi death camps. Afterwards, it was used as a storehouse for possessions left behind the Jews. After the liberation, it was used as a space for the distribution of humanitarian aid sent from the west. The synagogue was in use until 1966. With less than 10 percent of its prewar congregation, the community did not have the means to renovate and maintain the synagogue. Therefore, after years of neglect, it was handed over to the city for managing and underwent renovation from 1985 until 1991. The synagogue has been leased to the Novi Sad Municipality since 1991 and has been used as a concert hall and from time to time for the celebration of the Jewish holidays. The initiative for the memorial-plaque came from the Jewish community in 1984 and the initial idea was to unveil the plaque the same year. However, the Commission for Public Monuments and Protection of Cultural Heritage of the Novi Sad City Assembly granted them a permission only a year later. The memorial-plaque was unveiled on April 26, 1985, commemorating the 41st anniversary of the deportation and the 40th anniversary of the victory over fascism and the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps. The same year, as already mentioned, a 6-year long restoration process of the synagogue began, then came the breakup of Yugoslavia. The commemoration ceremonies resumed only in 1994. Commemoration ceremonies organized by the Jewish community Novi Sad are held annually on the anniversary of the deportation of Novi Sad Jews, April 26. The plaques are maintained by the Jewish community Novi Sad.
Novi Sad Memorial to the victims of the Raid on the 'Strand' City Beach Sunny Quay bb 2013 The monument commemorating the victims of the Novi Sad Raid was unveiled at the Štrand City Beach on 23 January 2013. The monument by sculptor Ljubomir Šćepanović (1982-) has a cube shape and it is made of black granite. The inscriptions in Serbian, English, and Hebrew have the identical content that reads: 'Novi Sad remembers. Here, at their favorite beach, citizens of Novi Sad were thrown under the ice of the Danube by the fascist occupying forces during the Novi Sad Raid. For most of the victims, their only crime was that they were born as Serbs and Jews.' (the translation is from the plaque, not ours). Below the text are engraved the dates '23.01.1942 - 23.01.2013.' The erection of the memorial was initiated by the Novi Sad Municipality, the Diocese of Bačka, and the Jewish Community of Novi Sad. One of the initiators, Aleksandar Veljić, president of the Society for the Preservation of Holocaust Remembrance and member of the Board of Directors of the "Racija 1942" Memorial Society, said on the occasion of the unveiling that: "It is a cube turned to all four sides of the world, which symbolizes reconciliation and coexistence, on the Danube, the river of our destiny, the river of our past and, I believe, a beautiful future. The monument is also unique as it is located on the route on which the executioners marched by force the column of death, to be killed and thrown under the ice." The monument was unveiled on 23 January 2013. The unveiling was preceded by a commemoration by the raid victims' memorial “The Family”, attended by more than 5,000 citizens of Novi Sad. The memorial plaque was unveiled by Bishop Irinej of Bačka and Chief Rabbi of Serbia Isak Asiel. Annual commemoration ceremonies to the victims of the raid are held between 21 and 23 January.
Novi Sad Individual grave in the Jewish cemetery: Kassowitz Family 67 Dezső György Street The tomb of Dr. Ármin Aharon Kassowitz is designed in the style of the Hungarian secession. It was made by sculptor of Jewish descent Michael Kara (1885-1964). Dr. Kassowitz (1864-1929), was a dentist and a two-term president of the Jewish community, between 1910 and 1912 and in 1925. Kassowitz’s elaborately carved Art Nouveau tomb with delicate floral ornamenture bears some traditional Jewish symbols: the Star of David and the Tablets of the Covenant. An image of a lily that appears in several variations could be seen as a symbol of Jerusalem, but also as a part of Art Nouveau’s decorative vocabulary. The epitaph incorporates the Hebrew name of the deceased (Aharon) and his father’s name (Mór), as well as the Hebrew date of death, indicating that the deceased came from a more traditional Jewish background. After the war, the names of Armin's wife Sidi, his son Rudolf and his wife Lili were added to the memorial along with the inscription 'vanished in 1941'. According to some sources, Dr. Rudolf Kassowitz (1893-1944), a dental practitioner, was killed in 1944 in the Dachau camp, while according to others, he was sent to Auschwitz on November 1, 1944, passed the selection and was murdered afterwards. Lili Kassowitz nee Friedman (1900-1944) and Sidi Kassowitz nee Kohn (1874-1944) perished in Auschwitz. We cannot know for certain who added the inscription; however, we know that the daughter of Rudolf and Lili, Eva, survived the Holocaust as well as two daughters of Armin's brother Max, thus some of them possibly added the commemorative inscription to the perished family members. Information on the Kassowitz family members and their fate during the Holocaust can be found on the website and on the Yad Vashem's website.
Back to locations